•Finding a shooting instructor:
Look for instructors certified by http://www.rangemaster.com
• Fitness and Combatives:
◦ Heart attacks and ass cancer are the most likely things to kill us…
◦ Get into a wrestling, boxing, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu program that has sparring.
◦ Eat less. Calorie counts and intermittent fasting are things.
• Continued Learning Sources (in no particular order)
◦ Active Self Protection Channels
• Don’t get your gun(s) stolen!
◦ Your car is not a holster!
• Your shooting skills:
◦ Build a practice regimen
▪ Masking tape, 3×5 cards and paper plates from Dollar Tree
▪ Concealed Carry Skills and Drills https://www.payloadz.com/go/sip?id=3253233
▪ Indoor Range Practice Sessions https://www.payloadz.com/go/sip?id=3152223
▪ Be able to extract, load, and fire your firearm efficiently from storage without time pressure
▪ Properly and consistently align your sights
▪ Get a consistent sight picture (Grip, Stance, Posture – which should be coached before awkward shooting positions like supine)
▪ Demonstrate consistent, controlled trigger manipulation
▪ Repeatable, consistent results slow firing at a static target
▪ Identifying shoot/no-shoot targets
▪ Understand post fight protocols and identify legal justification to engage in lethal force
▪ Drawing and firing from a holster under time pressure
▪ Consistently hitting a target while firing strings of multiple rounds
▪ Reloading your pistol under pressure
▪ Transitioning between weapons or tasks (love the guy who drops his gun and pulls a second gun in the video. Practicing some “reality based” stuff, no doubt)
▪ Identify cover and concealment
▪ Utilize some basic movement while performing the above tasks (including choosing the right posture to move with the gun drawn)
▪ Perform these tasks while using your offhand to call for help, operate a light, or navigate interior spaces while under threat as applicable
▪ Navigate gun handling from conversational ranges, to include retention, timing, fending, and integration of empty hand and edged weapons
▪ Apply handgun fundamentals to complex tasks, such as vehicle bailouts, entangled gunfights, shoot/no-shoot drills during Force on Force
▪ Move around non-hostile people with a gun drawn without negligent discharges and while retaining your weapon
▪ Integrate these skills working in pairs or small teams while utilizing good coverage of potential threat areas
▪ Demonstrate an absolute mastery of the tasks above.
• Kydex holsters with soft pull the dot loop attachments to the belt are generally the best inside the waistband holster option
◦ Be sure to use blue loctite to secure your holster’s attachment hardware.
◦ We’re cool with:
▪ PHLster, DarkStarGear, JM Custom Kydex, Raven Concealment, Henry Holsters, Zulu Bravo Kydex, Keepers Concealment,
• Dumb Holsters and Methods of Carry
◦ Fobus is trash
◦ Soft Nylon is trash
◦ Leather is for boomers and quality leather is expensive. Kydex does it better and cheaper.
◦ Hybrid holsters suck
◦ SERPAs are trash
◦ The T-Rex SideCar and other holsters with a mag pouch molded into the same hunk of kydex as the holster are sub-optimal kydex chastity belts for several reasons:
▪ The design creates additional points of stress on the kydex which increases the risk of the holster breaking.
▪ They are often sold with plastic clips that can break
▪ The PHLster Flex does everything a SideCar does, but does it better and with more modularity.
◦ Gun Car Magnet Mounts, Car-mounted holsters & Unnecessary Off Body Carry & Needless Gun Handling are dumb
▪ The gun can be drawn from your holster while seated…
▪ Constantly taking a loaded gun in and out of the holster during the day is dumb and raises your risk of having a negligent discharge
▪ Unnecessarily stowing the gun off-body in a glove box or under a car seat or elsewhere in the car invites trouble:
• Cases in point:
◦ Purse Carry thanks to Melody Lauer / Limatunes and Lucky Gunner Ammo
◦ Lethal Lace is garbage.
◦ Urban Carry Holster: A Wretched, Pulsating Ball of Suck and Fail
◦ Open Carry
▪ Clip is easily breakable, doesn’t secure to the belt and the trigger is not fully covered.
• PEPPER SPRAY
• Sabre Red is the best brand on the market right now.
• Fox Labs and Defense Technologies come in 2nd and 3rd place.
• Flip top model container is much better than the twist top safety because it is less likely to discharge in your pants.
• AR-15 selection
◦ Palmetto State Armory (PSA) and Anderson are cheap meme-tier trash with poor quality control
◦ Bravo Company USA, Colt, Sionics, Knights Armament, or Sons Of Liberty GunWorks are generally good places to start.
◦ Before their owner had a cuck out on bump stocks, Daniel Defense was as well.
• AK-47 Selection
◦ IO Inc and Century RAS-47’s are meme-tier trash
◦ Arsenal, Krebs Custom, and Rifle Dynamics are the only companies that make a decent AK nowadays
• Rifle Ammunition
◦ Start reading this https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ
▪ A lot of this depends on what your AR-15’s barrel twist is.
▪ Federal Fusion MSR 64 grain plated soft points are good to go.
▪ 7.62×39 doesn’t have anywhere near as many options for good defensive ammo as 5.56 does
▪ Jacketed Soft Points
▪ Hornady V-MAX
• Red Dot Optics
◦ AimPoint PRO will give you the least amount of headaches for a reasonable price
◦ EOTechs are overpriced trash compared to AimPoint and Trijicon
◦ For any guns intended for home defense, flashlights are an absolute necessity. Shooting your own kid because you blindly fired before identifying your target is dumb.
▪ SureFire mounted lights are great for extended use and flexing on poors.
▪ We recommend the Streamlight, Inc. Pro-Tac HL-X Rail Mounted Unit as it is the best combination of quality, price, and ease of setup.
◦ EDC Flashlights
▪ SureFire, LLC EDCL2-T is currently the best option on the market right now
▪ Streamlight ProTac HL-X is fine as well https://amzn.to/2Qoulez
▪ Fenix PD35 is a less expensive but decent option for you poors.
• Pistol Ammunition
◦ Federal Premium HST, Speer Gold Dot, or Hornady Critical Duty for EDC
◦ G2 RIP is trash
• Shotgun Ammunition
◦ Just use Federal Flite Control 00 8 pellet Buckshot
▪ The reason 8 pellet is preferred is because that 9th pellet always wanders off from the rest of the pellets in a shot grouping.
• Shotgun Recommendations
◦ The Magpul SGA stock is awesome.
◦ Pre-2008 Remington 870s are generally OK but keep a spare parts kit if you shoot it a lot.
◦ Mossberg 590A1 is OK but may have spotty quality control, so keep a spare parts kit if you shoot it a lot
◦ Beretta 1301 is awesome
• Pistol Recommendations
◦ Glock 17 or 19
▪ Most aftermarket support for holsters, cheap magazines, and parts availability
◦ Smith and Wesson M&P Series
◦ HK VP-9 or P30 series
• Guns/things we will probably make fun of you for unironically owning
◦ Taurus judge
◦ .40 caliber pistols
◦ Springfield XDs
◦ Ruger pistols
◦ Taurus pistols
◦ Shockwave and TAC-14 “shotguns” in their stock configuration
• Sights and Gun Parts and Accessories
◦ Trijicon HD night sights are awesome
◦ Fiber optics are generally fine
◦ XS Big Dots Suck
▪ Identify any known competitive shooter or trainer (that’s not Yeager or a surrogate of his) that uses them.
▪ Why does no one whose livelihood depends on speed and accuracy, often down to tiny fractions of seconds (aka pro shooters) use them?
▪ Sage Dynamics study where Big Dot users did not perform any better in FoF than traditional iron sight users did.
▪ Try to pass “The Test” or a Super Test with them
◦ Glock factory sights suck
◦ ZEV Products suck
◦ Punisher anything on a gun is lame
• Tactical Medicine
◦ Pressure Bandages and hemostatic agents
▪ The PHLster PEW makes carrying bandages and whatnot a lot easier.
▪ Just use the CAT or SOF-T Wide.
• Here is why:
◦ And yes those Tourniquets work on children
▪ RATS Tourniquet and elastic tourniquets are suboptimal trash
▪ non-TCCC approved tourniquets should not be trusted.
• Any non-CAT or SOFT-T-Wide tourniquet less than $30 shouldn’t be trusted
◦ Those are generally cheap knockoffs of the CAT
• “Big Boy Rules” and pointing live guns at students during training
◦ What actual value does a student get for such a serious risk?
◦ There’s this one, again where a real gun was used when it shouldn’t have been.
◦ And of course this one…